Johanna von Ostrowski worked at the book publisher Ullstein in Berlin. Around March 1945, she asked the former estate administrators Theo Schmidt, to find a safe place for keeping the painting. The image was lifted in a wooden frame in one of the shelter in the cellar in Charlotte Street, in the bunker, the one Mr. Hooper had reserved for particularly valuable things.
When the Russians came in early May 1945, the bunkers were forcibly opened and the most valuable thigns were removed. Also some paintings that belonged to the publishing house. But even after the Russians had left the land, and after new padlocks were attached, and they were forcibly removed again and the looting of the bunkers was continued.