2 Cannons "Kanon van 8 cm staal"
The guns built by Friedrich Krupp A.G. in 1881 and 1882 were used as "Kanon 8 cm staal" in the Dutch Army. They can be clearly identified as such.
Model: Breech loader with rifled barrel.
Maximum range of fire: 5000 m.
Brake system: On delivery still without brake, converted with a so-called "axle spade" in the 1890s.
Ignition system: Original ignition of the propellant charge by friction igniters. In 1927 conversion of the breech and the ignition system (ignition with "Pistool").
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
The two "Emder" field cannons were captured by German units near Delfzijl in mid-May 1940, then taken to Emden and presented here first in front of the "Lloyd Hotel". From there they arrived at the memorial to the Emden fallen soldiers of the First World War until the end of 1942. After several decades with changing locations, today they are housed in a hall of the construction and waste disposal companies of the city of Emden.
The evaluation of the research results does not permit any conclusion other than that these two "Emden" field cannons are cultural goods displaced as a consequence of war in 1940.
Ostfriesisches Landesmuseum Emden
26725 Emden
Germany